Wednesday, September 8, 2010

iNTRODUCTiON: DiVERSiTY

Diversity is defined as being different, having a point of difference or variety, according to an online dictionary I was able to find by “google-ing” it. You see, nowadays Google alike many other online search engines help with day to day tasks; in this case, being able to find the definition of a word. Many individuals of my generation and others outside of my generation as well, have adapted to the fast-growing technology of the twentieth century. Technology is becoming essential in some aspects for everyday life. Therefore, many people are beginning to learn and acquire such technologies. For instance, iPods, smart phones, MP3s, laptops, iPads, Kindles, Etc.

This progress brings to light the topic of my blog: diversity among tech users.
My previous topic had first focused on comparing and contrasting immigrants versus natives when it came to the use of technology. However, I thought it would be best to examine the overall diversity when it comes to tech users.

I would like to observe if diversity plays a huge role with technology, especially in a country where the society is very diverse. (I’m from the east coast of the United States where there seems to be a pretty significant array of cultures and ethnicities compared to other parts of the nation.)

I’d like to find any patterns or similarities among specific types of groups such as in age, education level, ethnicity, gender, or by the number of children living in one household. These patterns could include the knowledge they have about certain products or how often they use technology. I’d also like to observe if those individuals who were introduced to technology at an early age are truly using technology to their advantage or simply using it for basic social networking.

Having the knowledge to properly use technology is what I hope to learn from researching my topic and from my assignments in the I-course. I would also like to see if others have the knowledge or if the society they reside in influences the way they use their technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment